The former ICI chemical plant at the Wade Works site in Northwich was once the centre for the production of a precursor chemical for the mustard gas industry along with Royd Mills and Hillhouse in the 1930’s. These factories provided these chemicals for the main plant at Randle and Rhydymwyn. Mustard gas production ceased in the 1950’s. The factory was also used in the production of chemical compounds for the glass-making industry and for food production. The plant itself finally closed in the 1990’s. Since then the main administration building was converted into a pub ‘The Farmers Arms’now defunct. Today it houses a branch of the Co-op supermarket chain. Recently an application has been submitted for outline planning permission to build 300 homes on the site of the old factory to the rear.