Lords Bridge (Maintenance Unit No.95), built in 1944, is located 5 miles south west of Cambridge, was a Forward Filing Depot comprising two 250-ton mustard storage pots and held stocks of chemical weapons
In Jan 1955 while workmen were cutting up metal nearby an enormous explosion came from one of the pots shattering it. A cloud of toxic black smoke the spread over the surrounding countryside.
The particular bravery of a Corporal John Saunders in putting out the fire saw him later awarded the George Medal
The Chemical pots were not removed finally until the 1980’s
Today the New Anglia Water Company has a pumping station on the site
It is also part occupied by the University of Cambridge, Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory